Wooten: Central Austin Older Homes
A surprising number of homes have sold in the Wooten neighborhood in Central Austin in the last 12 months, despite the area being fairly small:
Wooten Real Estate Sales Data
For the 12 months ending 8/16/14, within the area bounded by Anderson Lane on the south, Burnet Rd on the west and 183 on the north and south:
- 56 houses sold
- Median closed price was $274,950 (range: $132,500 to $400,000)
- None were REOs (bank owned)
- 12 sold for cash
- The median size was 1,500 square feet (range: 743 to 2,741 square feet)
- The median age was 52 years old (range: 0 to 69 years)
You can see from that data that homes here are older, and smaller than the typical newer subdivision home in the suburbs. Many are one-owner homes, and not updated when they come on the market. Many still have the original 1950s pink and blue bathroom tile. Many of the smaller homes (concentrated east of the tracks) have just one little bathroom.
The entire perimeter of Wooten has commercial property, and railroad tracks run down the middle of the neighborhood. The southern edge has large school grounds by Wooten Park. Occasionally small old houses sell, are torn down, and replaced by bigger contemporary homes. This is not yet common though, and certainly not as common as tear-down-build-big in east Austin.
Location Appeal of Wooten
This little triangle has excellent proximity to all sorts of goodies. The southern edge is Anderson Lane, well known for restaurants in Central Austin. Some of our favorites:
- Hopdoddy – burgers made from as much locally-sourced meat and produce as possible. Always packed, always delish.
- Cover 3 – upscale sports bar with great leather booths, great booze and dinner-date quality food. Our favorite is the nachos made with spicy jack cheese and shredded beef.
- Zen - japanese food fast. Zen offers sushi and tacos (!) as well as an awesome menu of rice+meat+veggie+sauce bowls.
Wooten also has great access to both 183 and Mopac/Loop 1, plus dozens of furniture, decor and tile stores.
Wooten in Central Austin – House Images
In my spare time, I drive around and take pictures of houses that interest me. Here are a few from Wooten:
Google Map of Wooten
For your exploring pleasure: