Been to Lockhart TX Lately?
(Here is the most recent post about real estate sales in Lockhart, Texas)
The downtown square in Lockhart looks like a lot of small town, old town Texas squares with the courthouse in the middle, surrounded by buildings built in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
According to the City of Lockhart’s website, Byrd Lockhart arrived in the area in the late 1800s while he was working as a surveyor for Green Dewitt. Lockhart built roads in the area at his own expense and received land along Plum Creek as compensation.
Lockhart is the County Seat for Caldwell County and has approximately 13,600 residents.
According to the Texas historical marker at the courthouse, The Caldwell County Courthouse was completed in 1894 and was built from Muldoon blue sandstone with Pecos red sandstone trim.
The Dr. Eugene Clark Library was built in 1898 and claims the title of the oldest library in Texas that has been continuously used as a library (Clark Library Friends Website).
Lockhart is located along the historic Chisholm Trail, the major trail for livestock heading out of Texas after the Civil War, between 1867 and 1884. By the time the trail closed in 1884, the Chisholm trail had been followed by more than 5 million cattle and a million mustangs.
No visit to Lockhart, Texas, the Barbecue Capital of Texas, would be complete without a stop at Black’s Barbecue, which has been run by the same family since 1932!
Lockhart, Texas Real Estate Data as of March 2011
- As of March 8th, 2011, 68 homes are for sale in Lockhart, Texas, ranging from $18,000 for a court-ordered sale of a tear down in the Byrd Lockhart section of town, to a 5,185 square foot home built in 1980 located in 5 acres at the outskirts of town.
- 9 of the 68 homes listed for sale are foreclosures.
- The median price of a home currently for sale in Lockhart, TX is $129,000.
- The median size of the current homes for sale is 1,681 square feet.
- The 68 homes for sale are just under 7 months of inventory for the area.
Lockhart, TX Real Estate Sales for 2010
- In 2010, 90 homes sold in Lockhart, with a median selling price of $101,000.
- 26 of these homes were listed as foreclosures, a slight increase from 25 out of 97 homes sold in 2009.
- The median size of the homes that sold in 2010 was 1,490 square feet.
- Median days on the market (DOM) was 74.
- The median selling price per square foot was $68.01.
Photographs of Downtown Lockhart, Texas
Google Map of Lockhart Texas
View Larger Map
Population data from the Texas Almanac 2010- 2011.
Chisholm Trail information from the Texas State Historical Association and Donald E. Worcester.
Real estate sales data for Lockhart from the Austin Board of Realtors ACTRIS database.