Allandale - 78757 - NW Austin Older HomesAllandale is located east of Mopac/Loop 1, south of Anderson Lane, West of Burnet and north of Hancock Dr. This is an area of older homes. Most are single-story ranch-style homes. Most streets have large old oak trees providing lots of nice shade from the hot Texas sun. Many of the homes in this area have had the same owner for decades. That means when they come on the market they have often had minimal updating and can be a re-modelers dream. I set out this past weekend to photograph the types of houses that are characteristic of the area and only manged to get through the little area in the northwest section of this map:
Allandale Real Estate Sales ActivityFor the 12 months ending 8/19/2014:
- 98 homes sold for a median price of $455,000 (range: $277,500 to $856,250)
- The median age was 55 years old (range: built between 1938 and 2014)
- The median size was 1,750 sf (range: 816 sf to 3,419)
Why Live in Allandale in NW Austin?This neighborhood has excellent proximity to Mopac/Loop1 as well as 183. At the northern edge is Anderson Lane, well known for furniture stores and a growing number of Austin-grown restaurants. The local community fought hard against the WalMart that now sits at the old Northcross Mall location on Anderson Lane (east of Allandale). Fortunately, the dire traffic jams that were predicted haven't materialized, and the local businesses still have a lot of patrons.
Are Prices Going Up in Allandale?The median price of homes sold in this neighborhood between 8/20/2012 and 8/19/2013 (the 12 to 24 months before this article, and before the sales numbers shared, above) was $400,000 (100 sales, range: $240,500 to $790,000). That means that the price of homes has gone up in this area.
Images of Homes in the NW Corner of Allandale, in Austin TX
Google Map of AllandaleFor your exploring pleasure:
Wooten: Central Austin Older HomesA surprising number of homes have sold in the Wooten neighborhood in Central Austin in the last 12 months, despite the area being fairly small:
Wooten Real Estate Sales DataFor the 12 months ending 8/16/14, within the area bounded by Anderson Lane on the south, Burnet Rd on the west and 183 on the north and south:
- 56 houses sold
- Median closed price was $274,950 (range: $132,500 to $400,000)
- None were REOs (bank owned)
- 12 sold for cash
- The median size was 1,500 square feet (range: 743 to 2,741 square feet)
- The median age was 52 years old (range: 0 to 69 years)
Location Appeal of WootenThis little triangle has excellent proximity to all sorts of goodies. The southern edge is Anderson Lane, well known for restaurants in Central Austin. Some of our favorites:
- Hopdoddy - burgers made from as much locally-sourced meat and produce as possible. Always packed, always delish.
- Cover 3 - upscale sports bar with great leather booths, great booze and dinner-date quality food. Our favorite is the nachos made with spicy jack cheese and shredded beef.
- Zen - japanese food fast. Zen offers sushi and tacos (!) as well as an awesome menu of rice+meat+veggie+sauce bowls.
Wooten in Central Austin - House ImagesIn my spare time, I drive around and take pictures of houses that interest me. Here are a few from Wooten:
Google Map of WootenFor your exploring pleasure:
Updated August 17th, 2014
Lockhart Texas - Houses with CharacterWe first wrote about Lockhart Texas back in 2011, as part of our "shooting the town" series. A few weeks later, we wrote about Black's BBQ. Oh my, that is some tasty tasty meat. We still go down at least once a month for fun, or more specifically, for the barbecue. We also head down regularly to perform real estate appraisals - to determine the value of property in Lockhart. Now we're going to share some Lockhart Texas houses real estate sales data, plus some photos of houses around town. Yeah, we look at houses all day long but still go take photos of more in our space time. It's ... relaxing.
Lockhart Texas Real Estate Sales Activity
- In the 12 months ending 8/16/2014, 116 homes sold in Lockhart, Texas
- The median closed price was $120,500 (range: $20,000 to $730,000)
- 38 sold for cash
- 15 were REOs (bank repossessions)
- The median age was 31 years (range: 2 to 134 years old)
- The median size was 1,520 square feet
Lockhart Real Estate Sales Comparison: 2013 to 2014
- Compared to 1 year prior (8/17/2012 to 8/16/2013) for 106 sales:
- The median price was $123,000 (range: $16,000 to $299,000)
- 12 were REOs (bank-owned)
- 40 sold for cash
- The median age was 33 years old (range: 2 to 143 years old)
- Median size was 1,665 square feet (range: 280 to 3,992 square feet)